If you are enthusiastic about the idea to have Venetian plaster applied in your house or apartment, you should take into account that you should hire qualified and trained applicators who will guarantee the required result. Ask for sample boards or buy the product in small quantity to see the colour, usage and the final finish. In case you want to do it yourself, there are more and more professional courses where you can learn everything about the application of Venetian Plaster. 

Natural vs. Synthetic Venetian Plaster

Over the past years many different types of plasters have been introduced to the market. Because of their similarities it’s increasingly difficult to see the differences, so let’s take a quick look at the basic information you should know to choose the right plaster!

Natural Lime Plasters

Venetian plasters are distinguished from other plasters because of their marble grit content. Venetian Plaster is applied in thin layers to create a feeling of depth and to help achieve a smooth surface with marble effect. In Italy the terms "Grassello" or "Marmorino" are widely used to describe Venetian Plaster while in the UK the most common term is polished plaster. Natural plasters contain 95% of natural elements, the remaining 5% are additional mixtures such as acrylics, resins etc. The biggest advantage of natural plaster is its resistance to mildew. Lime not just prevents the building up of moisture but due to it’s pH the development of mould is halted. Moreover, lime plasters can be used for the building of environmental structures (green building) and the renovation of historical buildings. With lime plasters less material and waste is involved in the building process, and lime plaster’s breathability prevents the unwanted cracking of the surface.

Synthetic Plaster

Synthetic plasters are not very different from natural. Some can be polished in order to achieve a glossy finish, some are matt, but after polishing the surface of an acrylic plaster remains soft because of the small amount of binder (binders are the most expensive component) in it. The biggest advantage of acrylic plasters is that they are more resistant to scrubs, are harder than the natural ones and easier to use, and they are so flexible that some of them can even be bent to 180 degrees! An implemented customer research showed that after 10 years the colours remain just as fresh as if the product was applied only yesterday.

If you decide to use a synthetic plaster you can achieve wider range of finishes such as metallic, chromatic, iridescent, pearlescent etc.